Did you know that a bohemian look was never about fashion? In fact, it was the opposite that brought this style into existence. It was the peculiarity of some artist and people who didn’t want to conform to fashion in their time that created the Bohemian lifestyle and achieved the gypsy-like look in the 1800s.
But as the years progress, the bohemian style became a fashion statement, and a chic one at that. This fashion never went out of circulation and has evolved to what you can see today as the ‘boho- chic’ some celebrities like Zooey Deschanel and Mary-Kate Olsen wear. But this does not mean that the classical bohemian in the 1800s is lost today as Karen Elson and Florence Welch are still seen to sport this style at the present time. This just shows that Bohemian fashion, or lifestyle, is here to stay.
But just what is bohemian style? What made it so appealing that you just can’t seem to resist trying it even for just once in your life time? In fact, this style have integrated into a department’s men and women’s clothing section these days that you might have sported this look today but is just not aware you are wearing bohemian. After all, it only takes 5 simple items and viola, you have achieved the look.
How to achieve bohemian look?
As mentioned above, there are just 5 important items you need to have to achieve this look. That is why, it is not really hard to think about how to achieve bohemian look and get it. Just secure the following and you can go out and feel nice about how you look.
1. The loose clothing. The best answer to the question ‘What is bohemian style?’ is baggy clothing or loose dresses. Bohemian dress was born in time where corset was in rave. It scorns the limitations the fashion at that time brought about in women. Bohemian is all about freedom and comfort in motion. This is the reason for the loose clothing. To achieve a bohemian appeal, you will just need to wear maxi dresses, boho skirts, peasant blouse and caftans. All of these items are easily available in a department store or at a bohemian fashion boutique. You will easily recognize that a loose clothe is meant for this style from its colorful design and ethnic patterns. Men’s bohemian clothing is loose slacks and loose buttoned sweater.
2. The scarf. One of the bohemian style main accessories is the scarf. This is often tied loosely around the neck or used as a belt to support the loose clothing. Of course, scarves can be very handy during cold seasons and bohemian fashion made use of this advantage. But this is not without the signature bohemian bold colors.
3. The hats and head accessories. A bohemian appeal is best identified with their head accessories. Men bohemian fashion sports hats and some women wear a braid-like (boho braid) head accessory tied around their head. Boho hats design runs within a slouchy, wide brimmed, crocheted, flat cap, knitted cap look.
4. The Jewelries. Boho jewelries are famous for their earthy tones and are often made up from natural materials like woods and stones. Some known boho jewelries are the beaded bracelets and necklaces, clunky bracelets and wooden bangles. Their necklaces are long and can sport charms and gemstones. Dangling earrings are also popular boho jewelry design.
5. The footwear. Just like with anything else that has something to do with a bohemian fashion, comfort is the first and foremost concern. This is why, most boho footwear are comfy and flat. The footwear comes in earthy shades like brown, tan or black made from natural materials. Gladiator sandals, moccasins and some leather knee-high boots are famous boho footwear.
It is very easy to come by with these boho items. Bohemian fashion both for men and women can be very stylish and is known to be very comfortable. But as the concept of being bohemian goes, this is not a fashion trend but a lifestyle. The best ‘item’ to achieve a ‘real’ bohemian look is to have a bohemian mindset integrated into your lifestyle.